Saturday, January 17, 2009

Rain, rain, everywhere

Last night, my roommate Danny invited me out to hang out with him, Sinead, and some of their theater buddies. We left around 7:30 to meet up with Sinead and Anthony, then went to the Granary (the theater) where a performance was just finishing up. We had to be quiet in the entrance room, obviously, because of the play, but Anthony and Danny managed to play card games on the floor without making too much noise. In a little while, a guy named Steven showed up, and we went to Tesco in order to buy the alcohol and mixers for the after-play theater party. Quite a number of us weren't even planning on drinking (Danny, Sinead, and I), but we were apparently anticipating a crowd, so we ended up having to haul all kinds of drinks from Tesco back to a girl named Emma's apartment. It rained on and off all evening, so we were pretty wet by the time we made it to our destination. We dropped the drinks off and went back to the Granary; by that time the play was over, but we didn't go back to the apartment... we went to a pub instead. The pub was very quaint and Irish-looking, but I was informed that it was the exception to the rule and that "most pubs didn't look like that." One of the guys spent most of the time fairly interrogating me about what I knew of Ireland and America and how big is Gulfport and what's the tallest mountain in the US and what do you know about such-and-such Irish sport... It was pretty exhausting. Everyone else was very eager to tell me what they knew and explain how things worked in Ireland, but for some reason that guy had it in his head to question me to death. *shrugs*

Anyway, by the time we left the pub, Danny, Sinead, Anthony, and I were tired enough to opt out of the party and head home. Sinead and Anthony stayed up with Danny for the night, but once we got back, I just crashed.

Today I met Kristina at the bus station in Cork City Center. Another way to phrase that: Today I got drenched and lost on my way to the bus station to meet Kristina. In fact, it rained almost nonstop between the time I left the house at 11:15 and 3pm when we finally gave up and headed back to the apartment. Of course, as soon as we got on the bus home, it stopped raining. ><

We have adjusted our trip so that it now does not include London, England or Dusseldorf, Germany. London wasn't worth the amount of money it would take to get from there to Paris and back via high-speed non-Eurail train, so we just cut it out of the trip and are planning on flying straight to Paris to begin and flying home from Brussels at the end of that first week.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Erin! Glad to see you've whittled down y'all's itinerary to something you can manage a little easier. I'm sorry you got drenched today...but sounds like you're having fun "soaking" in the culture of your local digs...Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pub questioner guy sounds like me. That's scary.

    ReplyDelete